The Illinois Criminal Justice System: What Are We Doing Wrong, and How Do We Stop?
Join us for a dialogue with Patricia Van Pelt Watkins about the Illinois Criminal Justice System.
- Sunday, December 4th, 1:30-3:00
- Chicago Books to Women in Prison
- 4001 N Ravenswood Ave #204b
Those of us who insist on a rational and compassionate approach to policing, criminal justice and incarceration will discuss practical solutions with community leader and Fifth District Senate candidate Patricia Van Pelt Watkins.
Members of community organizations will ask her tough questions and we expect to get some tough answers!
Watkins is one of the few candidates who is willing to foreground issues of violence reduction and criminal justice in Chicago. Come with questions about her work with Safe City initiative, CeaseFire, prisoner reentry, sentencing policy, restorative justice, and anything else!
Dr. Patricia Van Pelt Watkins is:
▪ Founding Director of Target Area Development Corporation, which developed a model that improves public safety in communities through programs that reduce recidivism and change conditions that can lead to violence and crime.
▪ Founder of the Developing Justice Coalition, which spearheaded passage of legislation that improved fairness in the criminal justice system and removed barriers to employment.
▪ Founder of the United Congress of Community and Religious Organizations, which created a report card that evaluated the voting records of state legislators on issues of human rights and racial equity.
Chicago Books to Women in Prison
Chicago Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression
Transformative Justice Law Project
Tamms Year Ten