Last year we mailed 3,086 packages of books—9,200 or so books in all—and 361 blank journals. That’s 19% more than in 2014! We reached nearly 2,500 individual women in 53 prisons, including the largest women’s prison in the country and several men’s prisons where transwomen are incarcerated.
We’re impressed ourselves. But we want to share the credit.
As always, our 100% volunteer team works constantly to seek new resources and improve our processes so we can do more.
This year, for example, we received a Crossroads Fund Seed Fund grant. We implemented a database to track mailings, collect data and better manage our backlog. And we took an important step in obtaining our 501(c)(3) IRS determination as a public charity.
But we couldn’t have done any of this without friends who helped in many ways, including:
- Donating money for postage and rent (postage is about 82% of our total budget and rising as we aim to serve even more women)
- Mailing or dropping off books and blank journals
- Purchasing special requests from our Amazon Wish List
- Attending one of our three community events
And we’re grateful for our community, including everyone who follows us on:
- Facebook (50% more followers than last year)
- Twitter (65% more followers)
- Our blog (subscribe at the top right) and website (88% more visitors)
Please keep up with us in 2016 as we provide more women with the self-empowerment, education and entertainment that reading provides. People in prison have little or no access to books. So as long as there is the need, we’re committed to providing the pleasure and power of books.