Get involved with our small but mighty group—and help us send more books (and even better books!) to more women in prison. You can donate money or books, volunteer, host a book drive and more:
- Donate books: We send a great variety of books every week and there are books we just can’t keep on the shelves. Our main restriction is that we only send paperback books to prisons.
- Donate money: This enables our all-volunteer organization to keep pace with our biggest expense—about $1,400 a month in postage. A donation of $10 will send three packages of books to women in prison. A donation of $200 will pay our rent for a month. It’s easy to donate through PayPal using the button at the right of this page. Or please send a check or money order to: Chicago Books to Women in Prison c/o RFUMC, 4511 N. Hermitage Ave., Chicago, IL 60640.
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and our EIN is 45-5271700. All or part of your gift may be tax-deductible as a charitable contribution. Please check with your tax adviser.
- Host a book drive or fundraiser. If you’re interested in helping in this way, just email us at email@example.com. We’d love to work with you on what you have in mind for your workplace, school, neighborhood or even a party with friends and family.
We can provide materials you can use to promote the event, as well as help you promote the book drive or fundraiser on our social media channels (if it’s a public event).
- Volunteer: Every week we meet to match up requests with books from our large inventory and prepare packages for mailing. New volunteers, sign up in advance for one of our monthly orientations (alternating Saturdays and Sundays) from 1 to 2 pm, right before our usual hours from 2 to 5, which you’ll want to plan on attending as well.
There is a long waiting list as as we’ve received many inquiries since the recent article, radio interview and TV feature. We keep the number of participants at each monthly orientation at a moderate size. It’s simply a better experience that way and it also enables us to add to our mighty team in a manageable way. You’ll meet with one of our experienced volunteers to learn about the group’s mission, the needs of the women we serve and our process. Once you’ve been trained, you are invited to volunteer whenever you’d like.
To learn more, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org and note “Volunteer Training” in the subject line.
- Solicit books from publishers and authors. This can be an excellent way to get much needed books on our shelves. It’s not necessarily easy, though, as you may have to deal with rejection, no response at all, and getting referred from person to person. But many people have been successful at this and they’ve found it very satisfying.
Please email us before you contact authors or publishers on our behalf. We’d be happy to provide guidance as to what we need, tips for a successful solicitation, and content for an email or letter.
Are you an author or publisher with books that may fit our needs? Please email us before sending books to confirm that we can use them and in the quantity you’d like to send.
Do you have questions, ideas, resource material or opportunities to share? Please get in touch!